Monmouth County Divorce Attorney
Request a free consultation


Monmouth County Divorce Lawyer Firm Overview Attorney Profiles Family Law Contact Us

Parental Alienation

Divorce Attorney for Monmouth County

No matter what the situation involves, divorce will still take control of the emotions of each individual involved. It can take a major toll on the life of the children because they often feel as if the world they once knew were breaking apart and changing. These emotions especially get out of hand when one parent, typically the custodial parent, can influence the affections the child has for the other parent. If one parent constantly criticizes the other in front of the child, it could affect his or her perspective of that parent. The effect this generally has on the child is to cause him or her to withdraw emotionally from the parent who is being criticized. Not only is it a difficult situation for the child, but it can also be a traumatic circumstance for the parent.

This situation is often called parental alienation because one parent is being alienated from their child. Lasting harm can occur to the child and his or her relationship with the criticized parent can be entirely altered. Parental alienation most commonly takes place during divorce processes that take longer than average. They can, however, last even after the divorce has been finalized, especially when parents share joint custody of the children. This is a circumstance that can be dealt with through legal action because it can affect your ongoing relationship with the child. If you have reason to believe that your ex-spouse is poisoning the mind of your child and has been intentionally alienated from you by the other party, it is important to speak with a Monmouth County divorce lawyer today! We know your legal rights and can protect them!

Protecting Your Legal Rights

It is understandable that emotions can often run very high during the course of a divorce. That does not, however, make it okay to have your child turned away from you because of the other parent has held on to frustrations or bitterness from the marriage or divorce. If your relationship with your child has been sabotaged, it is not viewed in the eyes of the court to be in the best interests of the child. No matter what the motivations or intentions of the offending party is, the results can be lasting to those who have suffered the painful effects. We have the experience and ability to help you request early court intervention.

Signs of Parental Alienation

Parental alienation can stem from many different factors and depending on the child's personality, can come across in many different behaviors and actions. If the other parent is constantly trying to rescue your child during your scheduled visitation time or while you have your portion of custody, this is a typical sign of alienation. If the court-ordered parenting schedule is not being followed by the other parent or if you have been denied your court-ordered time with your child, these are also reasons to obtain legal assistance. Other situations that are obvious signs of parental alienation are when the other parent:

  • Denies you telephone conversations with your child
  • Denies you access to child's personal records
  • Falsely accuses you of speaking negatively in front of the child

When your child begins to act in an abnormal fashion, such as blaming you for the families' struggles or acting in an abnormally rebellious manner, you should take legal action to protect your relationship with your child. If you have questions or concerns about parental alienation or would like legal advice on your situation, feel free to contact our firm today! This is an important situation and you deserve a fair chance to maintain a strong relationship with your child.

No matter whether  you're in a negotiation or a trial, we can help level the playing  field.
We will walk you through every step leading to the start of your new life.
Hire a firm where everyone knows your name and every case is handled by a team of experienced attorneys.
Click here to read our firm's blog.
Amdur, Maggs & Shor, PC - Monmouth County Divorce Attorney
Located at 1 Industrial Way West, Westridge Building B Eatontown, NJ 07724. View Map
Phone: (732) 474-7531 | Local Phone: (732) 389-3800.